Summary: After the sudden death of her father, Ruby Atwood is forced to drop out of college to care for her younger brother. Deep in debt and on the verge of desolation, Ruby resorts to some shady dealings on the streets of New Orleans, in order to put food on the table for her small family. Until one night in a dark alley, she discovers a hideous beast she could never have imagined in her darkest nightmares. Cloaked in darkness, the Beast prowls the back alleys of New Orleans, lonely, savage and bereft of hope, his demon clawing at him. With the man responsible for his curse now dead, the Beast seeks out the only other person who can satisfy the demon within—the man’s daughter, Ruby Atwood.
Trapped, with nowhere to run, Ruby quickly realizes she must use her wits to stay alive or face certain death at the hands of a monster. But the more she tries to escape, the more she is drawn to the Beast. Desire and fear clash, creating an unforgettable story of hope, trust and a love found only in fairy tales…
This was initially going to get four stars but the more I think about it, the more I have problems with it.
1.I love our MC Ruby and she was probably the best thing about the story. She was sarcastic,loving and didn’t put up with the beast Lincoln’s bullshit and possessive behavior. I love how much she loved her brother and do anything for him.
2. I liked the side characters like her brother and the servants but they need more backstory to them.
3. The fact both of them were virgins was a plus even tho a woman virginity should be treated as a ” precious gift” to the guy but that’s a feminist rant for later…
4. The backstory as to why the beast got curse was pretty damn good. It wasn’t his fault in one just like in the OG BATB.
1. The beast- Oh boy How I do feel about him? I didn’t particularly like him that much for several reasons.
- Stalking Ruby at her house and pretty much got an hard on since he was a peeping Tom.
- Blackmailing her to come live with him for a month and do whatever the hell he wants with her even tho he never touched a woman in his life.( Being obsessive as fuck)
- Being hot and cold towards her like majority of the book which was frustrating.
- How I felt the narrative wanted me to feel sorry for him even tho he constantly said in the narrative that he didn’t want any pity.
2. Their realtionship-It didn’t supposed to feel like instalove but the fact the author decided to speed over two of the four weeks she supposed to be there,it felt that way. If you want me to believe that these two people fell in love with each other in less than 30 days when she had a BF she was with on and off since she was in the 10th grade, you better show some interaction. The fact we didn’t get enough interaction with them made it felt very unbelievable when at the end of that month they were enaged. I was screaming” Yall just met” at the top of my lungs at the end.
3. Ruby’s BF aka the Gaston Character- The only reason he was there was to prove that the beast character was better since he cheated on her and to be the one to shot him. That’s it. He served no other purpose than to be the cut out “villain” to surge the MC’s to declare their love. . It would have been better if it just was just a random dude playing for her affections than a BF.
4. Ruby’s interest being telled not shown- Since this is a BATB retelling, Beauty of the story always have to have an interest that she loves. The majority of them time it’s reading since that’s OG beauty interest and other retellings follow suit. In this one, I’m assuming her interest was animals since she was going to school to be a Vet but it wasn’t shown.I don’t think she even had a pet It could have easily been shown if somehow the beast pet wolf would have gotten hurt and she nursed back to health which she learned the wolf trust. But nope didn’t happen.
5.The summary- The summary is very deceiving to me. Here I was thinking they she was doing shady dealing like maybe stripping or something else in the sexual side to provide food on the table BEFORE she met the beast. She didn’t do none of that at all. Hell, she didn’t even have a chance to try pay her father’s debts and her brother medical bills before striking a deal with the beast.
All in all It was a ok story to read..